Action Alert – Tell your Japanese Embassy to End Research Whaling
On July 28, 2011, Japan’s leading English-language newspaper, The Yomiuri Shimbun reported that the nation’s Fisheries Agency is weighing the possibility of ending research whaling in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.
The Japanese government has historically held fast to a research whaling agenda. However, for the first time ever, a new report issued by the Fisheries Agency’s review committee on research whaling in the Antarctic Ocean includes opinions on both sides of the issue.
The report follows an abbreviated 2010-2011 research whaling season courtesy of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. On February 16, Captain Paul Watson and crew celebrated a victory in the Southern Ocean after successfully preventing the Japanese whaling fleet from attaining its quota. Sea Shepherd estimates that approximately 900 whales were saved as a result of the non-profit’s direct action campaign, Operation No Compromise.
In April, the Japan Fisheries Agency committee heard and compiled expert opinions regarding the future of research whaling. A majority opinion called for a continuation of research whaling based on international treaty. Proponents stated that whaling should continue “without yielding to heinous interference.” On the other side of the debate, a minority opinion suggested ending research whaling once and for all, “If we cannot gain understanding on the research whaling in the international community, we should scale it down or halt it.”
Given this development, Save Misty the Dolphin encourages members of our community to contact your Japanese Embassy and applaud a Fisheries Agency report that considers a halt to research whaling in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.
NOW IS THE TIME TO REQUEST THE AMBASSADOR TO URGE THE FISHERIES AGENCY OF JAPAN TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE MINORITY REPORT. THE TIME TO END JAPANESE RESEARCH WHALING IN THE SOUTHERN OCEAN IS NOW! Thank you. Please help us spread the word.
To locate your Japanese Embassy, click on this link: http://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/mofaserv.html
- CLICK HERE to comment on this article.
- Visit Save Misty the Dolphin on Blogspot
- Visit Save Misty the Dolphin on Facebook
- Follow Save Misty the Dolphin on Twitter
- ‘Eco-pirate’ Paul Watson is in danger of losing his boat (guardian.co.uk)
- Whaling Meeting “Ignores Needs of Whales (aboutashark.wordpress.com)
- Sea Shepherd could be forced to sell Steve Irwin in bluefin dispute (guardian.co.uk)
- Sea Shepherd in fight for flagship (theage.com.au)
- ArtsBeat: Animal Planet Starts Filming on ‘Whale Wars’ Spin-off (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Whaling meeting ‘fails on crises’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Antarctic whaling ‘to continue’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Japanese Research Whaling One Big IWC Loophole (championsforcetaceans.com)
- Whales, Dolphins, SeaWorld and Bob Irwin (holisecleveland.wordpress.com)
- The Rising From “The Cove” (championsforcetaceans.com)