Barbi Twins vs. Barbie and Mattel’s New Marine Mammal Trainer Doll – News Watch
I learned last week that Mattel’s new Barbie I Can Be SeaWorld Trainer hit the market. This is a great partnership SeaWorld has forged with Mattel in regard to this new merchandise.
Marine parks like SeaWorld offer people a chance to learn about marine mammals and marine ecosystems in context that is both entertaining and engaging. The human-animal bond that develops between trainers and captive whales and dolphins (cetaceans) and pinnipeds conveys a certain respect for these sentient beings. In fact, it was SeaWorld of Ohio that offered me my first exposure to the subjects of marine mammalogy and conservation. SeaWorld of Ohio no longer exists, but three other SeaWorld parks in Texas, Florida and California continue to educate millions of people.
I went on to train marine mammals at two Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA)-accredited facilities—an aquarium and a zoo. I also conducted field work on activity budgets of California sea lions in the Sea of Cortez, as well as census studies on both baleen whales and toothed whales, including orca (killer whales) and several dolphin species.
Read More via Barbi Twins vs. Barbie and Mattel’s New Marine Mammal Trainer Doll – News Watch and don’t forget to comment at the bottom of the article!
- PETA Blasts Mattel for SeaWorld ‘Whale Trainer Barbie’ (ecorazzi.com)
- ‘Whale Trainer Barbie’ slammed by PETA (mnn.com)
- Op-Ed: Photos released by ex-trainers show cost of captivity for orcas (Includes interview) (cyberwhalewarrior.com)
- Video: Deaths at SeaWorld are NOT okay. EVER (cyberwhalewarrior.com)
- Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity (theorcaproject.wordpress.com)
- Body of Killer Whale Nami Dug Up for Display at Taiji Whale Museum (theorcaproject.wordpress.com)
- Secrets of Killer Whale Captivity being exposed in Courts around the World (theorcaproject.wordpress.com)